Wednesday, November 24, 2010

25 and counting

11/24/2010

I suppose I owe you people a better post from last time. Stuff did happen; I was just too lazy to write about it. First of all we had our visit from one of the ILP head dudes. They claim this visit “wasn’t an evaluation of the teachers.” I call B.S. They just don’t want us to be nervous with them in the room. That went as well as it could have gone, as it was on Thursday, and that’s the day when I have the two girls that don’t want to be there and show their disdain for the program by breaking doors and spitting water at other students. Got to love teenage girls!

The other big thing is that I’ve been living alone for the past two weeks. Yup, it’s for real, just me in an apartment in the butt of Moscow, and as I found out, the drug-addict part of Moscow as well. I feel so secure walking home at night now! I’m not really worried though, I figure if something didn’t happen back when it was warm people won’t try anything in the freezing cold. Living alone has been pretty sweet though. I get to choose what I eat, which has been cold cereal for breakfast, and bacon and eggs for dinner. Just bacon and eggs, with the occasional loaf of bread (yes, I eat the whole loaf, and yes, that’s all I’ve had for dinner during the past two weeks). I only got a little sick during the first week, and I think that’s something I picked up from the students.

It’s been raining. A lot. While you guys are nice and snug with a snowstorm we’re stuck in the dreary rain. There are a few reasons I want it to be freezing. The main one being is that the ground will freeze, so instead of mud we have a permafrost-esque path to walk along, instead of jumping over/through puddles. My wish is granted this Sunday, as it’s supposed to drop to 7. Huzzah!

I’m ready for home. 25 days. One girl gets to leave early due to a friend having a wedding. So if any of you feel like getting married, you should plan to do so around Dec. 15 or so. What was fun about Russia at the beginning is now an annoyance. I’m tired of getting a puff of peoples secondhand as I walk down the street. I’m tired of almost getting killed every time I cross a road. I’m tired of the metro. I’m tired of their lack of a sense for personal hygiene. I miss Utah, and this is the only time you’ll ever hear me say that.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, I've heard you say it before. Utah will welcome you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake, I just read your blog. It didn't paint a very pretty picture. At least everything is frozen over here. We had a great Thanksgiving...missed you a lot....however we only had room at the table for 12..you would have had to stand up with your mom! Just kidding. You will have a place of honor on Christmas...a welcome home. You need to get out more and find some people to talk to. I want to know what the Russians are like and how they think. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete