Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Updates, and a story I found funny.

Past week has been boring. We're all in autopilot mode for the next 6 teaching days. I invented a game called English Uno, and it's just Uno, but when you speak in a language that isn't English you have to draw a card. It's funny because they say something in Russian, draw a card, then curse in Russian and draw another card. Needless to say my Uno skills have never felt this kind of inflation. I read 10 books in 10 days, which is up from my 5 book weeks I was having awhile back. If you travel and like to read an e-reader is a must. I would have died 100 times over if I didn't have my Nook with me.
The funny story is recently I've been having problems with my laptop. Normally I just jump on to Dell's support page, let the people do a scan of my computer, and have them send me a new motherboard, problem solved! Well, unfortunately, I'm in Russia, where Dell doesn't have a way of sending a technician over to fix my computer. This whole thing started because one day I woke up and Chrome wasn't letting me browser the internet. I tried Firefox, it worked, IE, it worked, but not Chrome. I mess around with the settings a bit to no avail. Finally it just stops working all together. I do a diagnostic check and it comes up with an error. Today I got it up and running again, though I don't know how, and I decide it's time to ask the experts on the Dell chat. I get on, ask about the internet, they say they can't help. So I ask about the aforementioned error. Working at a chat center must be painful. I know Corky told me some stories about when he helped people with computers the first thing he'd ask is if their monitor was on. I think it's surprising when I use acronyms like HDD for them. I ask about the error, and it tells me the agent is typing for awhile until he finally asks "What prompted you to run diagnostics?" It clicked that I wasn't his average costumer, and knew a few things about computers. When he asked that I couldn't help but let out a cackle. It amused me greatly. So I'm getting a new harddrive for Christmas, as well as a new keyboard, plastic casing, and if I can talk them into it, another new motherboard and wireless card. My warranty is awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment