Saturday, September 4, 2010

I hate Russian toilets.

04/09/90

So I’ll try to write one of these a week at least. So I taught a group of girls a history lesson to help them keep up on their English. All the material I wrote up lasted about 15 minutes, so I had to BS for another 30 minutes. It was interesting to say the least. If anyone knows any interesting stories about Russian history let me know. It was similar to talking with girls in America. One of them had a valley girl thing going and said “like” about half a million times.

I live further away than the rest of my group. They live within about a mile radius of each other, and I’m about 10 miles away from them. Riding the metro has been pretty sweet. It’s super nice; one of the girls in the other groups told me the Commies built it as kind of a monument to the people. It’s much nicer than most public transport I’ve been on in Utah. It was a lonnnnnnggg ride. After that we walked and walked and walked until we can to the fountain that I took a few pictures of, and then we went for a realllllllllly long boat ride. When we got off we went to the statue of Dostoyevsky in my pictures. One of the girls is in love with him and had a little freak out. It was pretty funny. There was a long parade of the different Universities telling people to go to them. Then we went to the ticket place and bought tickets to the ballet (Sleeping Beauty).

I found it interesting that most of the buildings still had the Communist symbols on them. My vision of Russia had all remnants of the Communists removed. It makes for an awesome view though. Every time I saw the hammer and sickle I laughed a little. I don’t know. Most of the things they said in the packet don’t seem to be true so far. The people don’t seem withdrawn at all; I’ve seen many who are very affectionate in public. Maybe I’m making the few examples bigger than they are.

I’m sort of freaking out about my first lesson day. The language arts was easy, it’s the other sections that I’m struggling with. The language arts section is mostly lined out and I have to make up the math, science, and social studies section. Holy crap I have no idea what I’m going to do! Bah, oh well. It’ll all come along no problem in no time.

Russian toilets suck. They are slanted and lack water so your poop gets stuck on the porcelain and you have to use a brush to scrape the crap off. It's gross.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/album.php?aid=83244&id=1367655137 Here’s the link to the pictures I’ll be taking. Should be available to everyone, comment if not.

3 comments:

  1. Israel toilets aren't so great eithre. But Egypt was even worse. Love reading about your adventures. Love Aunt Jana (not mother)

    ReplyDelete