Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Sweet dreams are made of bees

08/09

Well I’ve been here for a week now. It’s crazy, like Brock’s driving crazy (heh). Nah, I’m just kidding, he’s a MUCH better drive than these nutjobs. I don’t think there are any traffic laws here, at least none are apparent. I would NEVER want to drive here, ever in my life. I take the metro every day, and that’s good enough for me.

The kids I teach range from good to crazy. Hayam is a smart a(you can finish this word however you like) who thinks he knows everything therefore he pay attention. Nastya 1 is a cute little girl who knows a lot of English, the same goes for Yana and Dasha. Pavel (pronounced Paul) is another really smart kid who just doesn’t want to be in class. Kyrill (keyrill) is a complete crazy child. He doesn’t pay attention and tries to get away with it. Nastya 2 is quiet but she knows what she’s about most of the time. Mitya is quiet, but very studious, the first class he came in a pinstripe suit. It was pretty awesome

Apart from the driving and the toilets I love it here. The food is great; I’m a big bread and soup fan and that’s what I get every day! The only bad part is the rolls they give us at lunch. They’re usually cold and filled with something gross. Mom, you’ll be proud to know that I eat a vegetable with every meal, usually cucumbers. I don’t like them that much. I do my own dishes but my babushka won’t let me do my own laundry. I tried, and she shooed me away.

When I write these I get really distracted. For anyone who isn’t totally cool reading this, Brandon Sanderson is doing something called The Great Hunt for Towers of Midnight. I’m super bummed that I can’t participate. I also am constantly browsing through reddit in search of cheap laughs. No better site for that! I tend to watch Spin City, although I’m almost done with the last season. It just goes downhill after Michael J. Fox has to leave. Charlie Sheen was a great replacement, but Mr. Fox is just so dang good!

Anyhow I just finished an excellent soup with chunks of beef in it, with three slices of bread with something called kosha (I think). It’s a salsa for bread and it’s INCREDIGOOD! The other great foods here are blini and these time scone-like pancakes. Blini is just a crepe, but better. I don’t know how, but it is. Those scone-pancakes are absolutely delicious with jam or sour cream (it’s better here). Oh, and the women are always nice to look at.

I had a strange dream where there were thousands of bees covering my body with their honeycombs. I woke up and had a sweet taste in my mouth; therefore sweet dreams are made of bees!

2 comments:

  1. Jake, I loved reading your posts from Russia. It sounds like you are living the good life. All that good food, you might be gaining weight. Send a picture of your hostess. She sounds great. I don't quite get what you are doing or how you're doing it, but keep it up! When I was nearing mission age years ago, my first choice of a place I wanted to go was Russia. I think it was because it was such a mysterious country back then. I thought I would never see missionaries there - have you seen any? Love you, Grandma J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps your disdain for driving will carry over to home....I can hope. Love you buddy - Dad

    ReplyDelete