Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Russians love their babies, Americans don't

16/09/2010

This marks the two week period. Time has flown by! The biggest update I have is that holy crap the kids I teach are little devils. Ok, that’s not fair, the girls I teach are little angels, and the boys are little devils. The show that is currently distracting me while writing this is Futurama, about halfway through the fourth season at the moment. I have a bunch of free time after class Monday through Thursday, and I can’t really do anything fun since my curfew is 10:00 PM on weekdays.

On Fridays I only have 2 hours of class; it’s a nice break from the tediousness of teaching super hyper children. I teach a group of girls that want to retain English as a language. Teaching means playing Uno for 40 minutes with them. The other group is a bunch of older women who want to learn more English. It’s a much easier class, they know what they want to learn and just ask about that. They asked me to tell them the differences I’ve seen in Russian and American politics/current issues, so I’ve been reading the English Moscow newspaper.

On the note of the differences in politics, there aren’t many. Their president is taking just as much crap as Obama, if not more, and the former president is riding care free. Everyone is speculating that Putin will run again, which wouldn’t be surprising. The past month or so he’s basically been campaigning by doing awesome stuff, like putting out fires and wrestling with bears. At least that’s what the rumors have been saying. There are serious political tensions here; it’s still in developmental mode. One opinion article I read used China as an example of what Russia should be. Its nuts here, I love it!

Three years ago today my world got rocked. Robert Jordan (Oliver Rigney Jr.) died. I’ll always remember where I was when I found out, and how much it hurt, even though I never knew the man. I consider The Wheel of Time to be one of the most influential forces in my life. I’d also like to take the time to thank Brandon Sanderson again. I don’t think I can thank him enough (it’s been about 3 times in person now) for doing an excellent job on the book that he helped with and is currently out. November second baby, I can’t wait!

Now, in America we have our strollers facing away from us, so we have as little viewing time of our baby as possible. In Russia I’ve seen one or two of these, but most of them face towards you, so you can see your precious pooping/barfing machine. Also, we saw a stop sign in English, it was awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment